Friday, October 5, 2012

"Practical Magic" Style



Every fall, I have the urge to watch "Practical Magic." The movie is just perfect for the Halloween season, with its witch-centered plot.

I am not a horror movie fan at all. I don't like to be scared, or the idea of horrible things happening. "Practical Magic" is a little bit different -- it's got its slightly scary parts. And it's not the best movie on the face of the earth, but it is entertaining. And it's beautifu -- so beautiful: Beautiful scenes, house, etc. Lots of movie eye candy. It's right up there with movies like "You've Got Mail," "The Holiday," "It's Complicated," etc. -- movies where you watch as much to see gorgeous cute home decor as much as to take in the familiar plot.

With "Practical Magic," it's good to know that the book -- by awesome author Alice Hoffman -- is way better than the movie. But every single one of Alice Hoffman's books are just so deeply mesmerizing. She is one of my absolute favorite writers ever, and if her name is on it, I will read it. "Practical Magic" is a great read and the movie can't compare to the greatness of the book. In my mind, it's actually almost a totally different thing.

But that doesn't mean I'm not drawn to watch the movie over and over. So let's return to that film eye candy. Check out this kitchen:



I could post so many beautiful pics of the film's garden, conservatory, and the little seaside town, but I'll let you see it in the movie.

I must say although the movie is old now, I love the fashion too. Sandra Bullock's lily-of-the-valley cardigan has always been a favorite:



There is actually an entire blog, "Amas Veritas," about "Practical Magic." The blog has been around for a while, but if you are looking for more information on the movie, it's worth clicking over and checking it out.

Another blog has a great post on the Practical Magic house and sets, with a lot of great photos.

If you haven't seen the movie, the DVD is quite affordable now. You can find it places like Walmart and Target in the $5 selections. But make a promise to yourself to read the book too!

No comments:

Post a Comment