Wednesday, October 10, 2012

"Once" Obsessed


There's a new Sunday night ritual in our house. It involves Big Girl, me, a bowl of popcorn, and a little TV show called Once Upon A Time.

We are obsessed. Offically obsessed with a capital "O."

What used to be "Mad Men" night for me and hubby is now "Once" night for me and Big Girl. And I really like it! It's fun to have something to look forward to at the end of the weekend, sort of like how it was years ago when "The Wonderful World of Disney" was on.

(Funny thing: "Once" is basically Disney show! How cool is that?)

Do you watch it? It's hard to describe, other than it's about fairy tale characters who are cursed and sent to live in Maine and don't remember their fairy tale lives. It's so much more than that, however; telling stories in present and the past, with quirky characters that remind me of past favorite shows like "Northern Exposure" and "Twin Peaks." Apparently, some of the writers were writers on "Lost," and that is fitting for how the show plays out.

The show is currently in its second season, but the first season was recently released on DVD -- in fact, it's on sale at Target this week! ($29.99 for 22 hour-long episodes, plus extras!) The DVD was a special treat for us this week and we are slowly making our way through past missed episodes. Even though we know what will happen, the old episodes are still enjoyable to watch because the fairytale back stories are so rich and beautiful to watch.

My daughter has declared this her favorite new show, and I'm so pleased to have something to share with her. There's not much on TV lately that we can both enjoy -- the days of "Full House" and "The Cosby Show" and "Facts of Life" and "Happy Days" and "The Brady Bunch" are long gone. We sometimes watch Disney Channel shows, but they can wear on my nerves sometimes.

"Once" is also one of those eye candy shows for me -- entertainment that inspires with cool clothes and decorating. I'm really obsessed with the character of Mary Margaret, a.k.a. Snow White (I knew she was always my favorite Disney princess!), who is played by actress Ginnifer Goodwin. (Goodwin was a favorite of mine in the series "Big Love" on HBO, which is now long gone. That was such an interesting drama.)



Mary Margaret has the coolest Shabby Chic apartment, and dresses in adorable preppy clothing that I want to magically appear in my closet. Where is a good spell when you need one?


I have now added this necklace to my wishlist, although I just might have to get it for Big Girl. Or maybe one for both of us? :)

Source: etsy.com via Kellie on Pinterest


If you want to join our obsession, you can watch Season 2 episodes at this link. Start with "Magic is Coming" to catch up on back stories of the characters (then go out on buy Season 1 to see them all in their full glory!). But the current three episodes online can get you caught up enough to watch Sunday, at 8 p.m., on the ABC network. Don't forget the popcorn!

No comments:

Post a Comment