Friday, October 26, 2012

It's French Toast Time!

 
Last year's "Snow-alloween."
There's a storm a-coming! Time to run out for bread, milk & eggs! (Get it? French toast time?)

Ha ha. Actually I'm not laughing. After last year's Halloween ice storm, which canceled the holiday and kept us without power for a week and without school for even longer, was kind of a downer. Does this look like a Halloween house picture below? I think not:

It was a year without a Halloween.
Hurricane Sandy is heading to New England, and it promises (as of today) to be a whopper! I'm not sure what's going to happen. Or if the weather men are being crazy insane and making everyone crazy insane, but I guess I need to get ready. I'm most worried about power outages. Last year, I had to put my freezer/fridge food in a cooler with snow:

Saving food!
We don't have a generator, but we do have a camp stove and grill with propane, and natural gas to heat our hot water, which means we can have warm food and warm showers. We have camp lanterns. I need to check my battery supply, my canned goods (easy to heat on a camp stove) and my dry goods. I probably should also get some instant coffee. I hate the stuff, but I need my caffeine. I wish I had an old-fashioned stovetop perculator -- need to get one to have for camping with the Girl Scouts anyway.

My father said our town's hardware store was already buzzing with people buying loads of batteries yesterday. Yippee! It's storm crazy time. I hate storm crazy time. People are nuts.

Eating dinner by candlelight last October.
I'm thinking as I type this that I should be digging out the sleeping bags and putting them more accessible in our storage closet. They are a good warm layer to sleep in when we don't have heat! Last year, Big Girl was scared to sleep in her room when we didn't have power because it was so very dark, so she had a very warm "nest" of a bed on the floor of my room with her sleeping bag and a lot of blankets on top. And I need to dig out the very warm pajamas for all the kids.

I'm hoping to write a few blog posts in advance for next week, so if you don't see any storm-related stuff, that's why. It should be interesting to see what happens early next week. I do know one thing... I'm not ready for this weather just yet! I like fall. I like snow too, but in the winter -- not October!

1 comment:

  1. I hope you don't have a repeat of last year! That was amazing. And not the good kind of amazing. I heard a rumor that we have snow forecast this week but I don't think it will be much of anything if it shows up at all.

    Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on my blog. I really appreciated it.

    ReplyDelete