Tuesday, September 11, 2012

TWINS TUESDAYS: Twin Mom Support Groups

Twins can be cute, but any mom of multiples needs support!
Last Wednesday night I went to my first Mothers of Multiples meeting. It took me nearly 3 years to get there, but I'm glad I went.

I had wanted to join this group for some time, but so much keep me from getting around to it. Originally it was just a bad night, as my older daughter's PTO meetings were the same night of the month. And Wednesdays are hard, as my husband golfs in the warmer months and bowls in the cool months. And we have our religion instruction on Wednesdays too, so it's just a busy day in general.

But now my current PTO meets a different Wednesday. And the Mothers of Multiples local chapter for our region now meets in my town! It was time to get involved. I have been having many issues with the little ones lately, from their non-stop energy level, discipline, sibling fighting, etc., and I really needed to find out if it was me, or a "twin thing."

This was the first meeting of their new year, and there were several new MoMs there. The group usually tries  to have a speaker come, but this meeting did not, so we just chatted about our kids and issues we were having. It was wonderful! The stories many were sharing could have come out of my own mouth. For the first time in a long time, I truly felt that I was not a completely bad parent.

One MoM even said so many things that I felt -- that it's just hard to do anything with a second adult... That she dreads parties and family events... That she sometimes feels trapped in her house... It was everything I feel, and often everything that non-twin moms don't understand.

This particular MoM group has activities beyond their meetings: outings at play areas, holiday parties, and more. I don't know if I can fit everything in, but I'm at least glad to know that once a month I can be with other MoMs who might give me some guidance or at least lend an sympathetic ear.

And I am looking for forward to the speakers they have lined up for this year. The schedule includes a yoga instructor, a personal organizer, and a pediatrician to answer questions about development.

If you are looking for a local chapter, visit the National Organization of Mothers of Twins Clubs website. You can also find numerous resources on multiples at the site.


1 comment:

  1. It's always nice to know you're not alone and other people feel the same way you do. Glad you were able to attend the meeting. :)

    ReplyDelete