Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Stepping Into the Past



We've been busy trying to make the most of the waning days of summer. One of Big Girl's wishes was to visit our local historical society museum. It's only open two hours a week, so it's definitely been hard to find time in that window most weeks.


Last week, we were able to find an hour to leave the twins with my parents and head over to the tiny, second floor museum and the one-room schoolhouse at the other end of the parking lot. It was well worth the trip! (And did I mention that is has free admission? Yay!)


The museum displays change because the historical society has far more items than fit in their current museum. Eventually, they hope to have a bigger home.


I hadn't been to the museum recently, and it is completely different since my last visit. It was so fascinating to learn about products made here, or see antique items donated to the museum and inspect old photographs of notable places around town, like old schools, churches and businesses.


The best part, however, was this:


Going inside the one-room schoolhouse! Isn't it so-very-Laura-Ingalls? I just loved it. I could only imagine what school was like in this building.


We had a lovely little time exploring our town's past and chatting with the historical society president. I'm very motivated to become a member, as history is a subject near and dear to my heart.


I hope you all find time to visit your local historical societies. Many are staffed by volunteers who spend hours trying to preserve the past. I think it is so important for children to learn about where they live; it gives them pride in their hometowns as they grow up and they feel connected and develop "a sense of place."

1 comment: