Monday, April 2, 2012

Our Easter Traditions

Do you have Easter traditions? I was just making lists and realized I have to schedule all the things we must do in the next week.



1. Make cookies.
I am a cookie baker. I like to make cookies because cookies are fun and forgiving -- meaning if you mess one up, it's OK -- unlike with a whole cake! I particularly love to make decorated cookies, and while my skills are not up to par with Martha Stewart, they still are sweet to me. Plus Big Girl enjoys decorating too, and I imagine some day the twins will join our icing party.



2. Bake babka.
My grandparents always made babka bread right before Easter, and it is synonymous with the holiday to me. Of course, I'm still trying to master this baking skill, but I want to make sure I carry on this culinary tradition for my own children. I'm hoping I have time to squeeze this baking time in to the week. (Stay tuned for more on babka later this week.)

3. Watch Easter shows and specials!
Sure, everyone watches the Christmas shows, but it's nice to pull out any holiday show around a holiday right? I have a few favorites. Here's a rundown:

Start things off with the Rankin-Bass 1970s stop-action classic Here Comes Peter Cottontail. This one isn't my absolute favorite, but it's worth one viewing per season.

Then check out the other Rankin-Bass classic, The Easter Bunny is Coming to Town. I like this one much better -- it's got a cute story and it addresses all the Easter traditions (and gives "stories" on how they might have started). It's set up just like "Santa Claus is Coming to Town. Here is a sample of it from YouTube, although please excuse the fact that all the writing is backward in this clip!  





Of course, no holiday is complete without a Peanuts episode: It's the Easter Beagle, Charlie Brown is the Easter show for Snoopy fans. It's cute, it's quick, and it's a tradition.

We might have to add HOP to this year's viewing, since it just came out on DVD and it's one of the few Easter-themed feature films available.

Occassionally I might watch the Judy Garland/Fred Astaire flick Easter Parade if I have time -- I love watching old movies while I'm alone, either when the kids are napping or I'm watching TV by myself. I can't resist a 1940s flick!




Of course, there are many others, particularly those detailing Bible stores and the life of Jesus Christ. It's fun to create a holiday movie checklist, and I think it makes memories for the kids when you plan special treats -- jelly beans and popcorn, anyone? -- with their little movie marathon.



4. Dye eggs!
We always dye our Easter eggs on Good Friday. That's our own family tradition. (And we usually put on "It's the Easter Beagle, Charlie Brown" while we color them!)

5. Church.
Big Girl and I have a tradition to go to church for the Easter vigil. She loves the fire, and the candles, and although it's long, it's nice to participate in the most important Mass of the Catholic year.

6. The Holiday!
Of course, Easter morning brings baskets and egg hunts and pretty clothes and a yummy dinner and time with family and friends.

This year, a new tradition starts! The family will be celebrating Easter at our house. I'm excited to start having the annual celebration here.

Do you have any Easter traditions?

No comments:

Post a Comment